Monday, July 7, 2008

GARDEN UPDATE

Going through some old shirts this weekend, I found the one that is my "theme" shirt for this garden! My aunt designed the logo. Little did she know I would live up to this name.




The new garden is looking a bit wilty. On Saturday, I went back and added some BLUE STAR CREPPER, which looks like dicondra to me, which is why I decided to try it. Today I read on line about it: "Pratia angulata, also known as blue star creeper, is a semi-evergreen (it may lose some leaves in cold winters), ground-hugging plant that is covered with small, light blue 'star' flowers in late spring to early summer. Plant blue star creeper around stepping stones and along pathways, where it will form a carpet. " I guess I planned that right. I planted these back near the birdbath and fern.
I also planted some BABY'S TEARS to try to get some more green and cooler looking spots. I grew these in my first garden and am hoping the shade will be enough to keep it cool. I really liked how it made the soil very rich too.
The for something a little different and to add some color, I also added some LOBELIA/ SKY BLUE. The internet states: Cascades of dainty sky-blue blooms with tiny white eyes, cover mounded plants trailing to 6-8". Most charming under cool conditions, or shaded in hot areas. Start indoors 8-12 weeks before last frost. Perfect as fillers and edgings, in beds or baskets, from summer to fall." They were spread out all along the narrow edges of the path.


In front of the otherside of the A/C, I added a leafy pink colored plant. I dont recall the name, but am hoping it will grow enough to cover the A/C unit.
Then I went and pulled some more ground cover from our front yard and added it around the tree stump log. The Ivy that was pulled from the yard last week looks like it isnt making it, so going to try another trimming. After planting everything, Scott suggested I drench the whole area, as I had noticed it was pretty sandy under the top layer when I was digging holes. So I set out a sprinkler and saturated each section for 40 minutes. The plants are looking better already.

Last but not least.... I have a good friend who is now a missionary in Milan, Italy. I have heard her mention that she loves GERBER DAISY's. When we first moved into our house, we had a pretty yellow daisy bush, that I mistook for a Gerber. I nicknamed it Corrie's Daisy. Then I really found out what a Gerber was. Last spring at our church's Womens Tea, they let us take home the Gerber Daisy decorations. I ended up with 2, which started to wilt within the first week. About a month ago, I planted the wilted, not much hope of a plant in our front planter. This weekend I have noticed flowers, STRONG flowers peeking out. I am so excited. These are officially now Corrie's daisy! Each time they bloom, I will be praying for Corrie and her work in Italy!
Blessings-- Mindy

No comments: